Tuesday, November 18, 2014

The new edition to our family

Well, she's not new by any means, but my kitty Princess Fiona finally came to live with us today! She's been living with my parents for quite sometime, but now she's finally home. When I moved to Charlotte last year, I chose to leave her with my parents to avoid paying the $300 non-refundable pet deposit at our apartment. Now, you're probably thinking that that makes me a terrible mama to my baby cat, but that was an expense that I just couldn't afford at the time. At the time, I was still driving back to Greenville every weekend to do my duties as the Director of Youth Ministries at my home church, so I got to spend every Sunday loving on Fiona. B and I always planned to take her back when we moved into the house and got settled, but my parents kept her a little longer than originally planned because of my surgery. Dad came and took me to my doctor appointment today (since I can't legally drive with my right foot in a cast) and he brought Fiona with him. She's spent most of the day sniffing around and cautiously exploring her new home. We've also caught up on some much needed snuggling. 

Princess Fiona was a birthday/Chrisas gift from my BFFAE back in 2009. At the time, I had just moved into an apartment by myself and I was single and lonely. I'd always had cats growing up and BFFAE thought that I needed a companion to come home to everyday. She adopted her from the Greenville Humane Society and surprised me with her on November 15, 2009. She was barely 3 weeks old, and the Humane Society had named her Juanita. My first order of business was to change her name. (I just couldn't imagine myself saying things like "Get off the counter, Juanita!") I had a list of potential names for her. BFFAE and I sat on the floor with her and I started testing out some of the names. When I called out "Princess Fiona", she meowed and came right to me. (Yes, I named her after the ogre Princess from the Shrek movies and it truly suits her personality. She can be quite the ogre at times.) 

She is a Maine Coon cat, which means she's quite large. She has long hair and and a fluffy tail and the softest, fuzziest belly in the world. She's awkward just like her mama. She growls like a dog when she's scared, and she loves cheese almost as much as I do. She loves playing in boxes and shopping bags and will shamelessly beg for treats. 

Happy (belated) 5th birthday, baby cat! Mama loves you and is so happy to finally have you home!




Love,
A

No comments:

Post a Comment