Friday, January 2, 2015

Christmas Recap

We had a wonderful, laid bsck Christmas and I can't believe it's already over! B and I drove "home" to Greenville, SC to spend time with my parents. He had to work on Christmas Eve, so we drove straight to church and had to sneak in the back since we were a little late. Our preacher was home sick with the flu, but the service was still great. We always do lessons and carols on Christmas Eve and I love it. Afterwards, we went with some friends and ate dinner at Waffle House, which is a silly family tradition. (We've always opted out of the standard home-cooked meal because it's always been just me and my parents and it's a lot of effort to cook a big meal for just 3 people, especially since we all usually end up working on Christmas Eve and go straight from work to church.) B has been kind enough to embrace our tradition for the past 2 years that we've been together. 

We woke up on Christmas morning and Mom made us breakfast. I think this was the first year ever that someone had to actually come wake me up on Christmas morning instead of the other way around! What can I say, I was exhausted. I'd ordered Christmas crackers for the whole family so we opened those first, put on our crowns, and told our jokes. (I first learned of their existence from last year's Christmas episode of Doctor Who, and I thought it would be a fun tradition to start in our family.) 



We sat around the tree and opened our stockings and presents. It was so funny because Mom gave me a sweater for Christmas, and it just so happens that I'd bought the exact same one for myself and I'd worn it to church the night before. The look on her face when she saw me wearing it was confusing, but I totally understood when I unwrapped it! We gave my Dad a sign for the garage that said, "1965 Mustang Parking Only," and he gave us one that said, "TARDIS Parking Only." It was completely unplanned, and so funny. I guess great minds really do think alike! B bought me a beautiful Brighton heart necklace and I haven't taken it off since! There is a jewelry shop in the little town down the road from us called Allison Love's Fine Jewelry (which is a very fitting name). We have become loyal customers since it opened this past year, so the owner knows us well and knows my taste. He told B that when that necklace came in, he instantly thought of me and sat one aside. He was right!


After we opened presents, Mom made us homemade potato soup and peanut butter pie. (It was nice for B to have soft foods to eat since he is still recovering from his gum surgery.) We continued our family tradition by going to the movies. We saw Night at the Museum 3, and it was pretty cute. None of us were huge fans of the first two films, but we chose it because it was Robin Williams's last movie. I have to say, it was a very fitting last role for him, and they did a great job honoring his legacy. When the credits rolled, they dedicated the movie to him and said, "Magic never dies." (Mom and I have always been huge fans of Robin, and we called each other and cried when we heard the news of his death. He was a tue gem and the world is a much sadder place without him.)

After the movie, B and I loaded up the car with all of our goodies and headed back home to Charlotte because we both had to work the next day. We had a wonderful first Christmas with my parents! I hope y'all had a Merry Christmas, too!

Yes, we are wearing matching Doctor Who sweatshirts, because we are nerdy and that's how we roll. 


Funny story about that mistletoe: My parents went on their first date in December. My Dad picked my Mom up at her house, and she had that mistletoe hanging in the doorway. He casually asked her, "Does that thing work?" It was their first date, so she told him, "No, I think the batteries are dead." He gave her a pack of batteries for Christmas the next week. 

Love,
A

No comments:

Post a Comment